- This event has passed.
Virtual Annual Meeting, Board Elections, and Training
June 13 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
This year CAPI will be hosting its annual meeting on Zoom. Join us for a free training, as well as board elections and an annual report from the current CAPI board. Remember, you must be an active and paid CAPI member to join the free webinar. Join or renew today at coloradointerpreters.org.
Sign up for the webinar here
Ready, Set, Remote: What you need to know to get started with virtual remote interpreting
As society changes in different ways to adjust to our present reality, the interpreting profession is dynamically adapting and innovating to find ways to deliver interpreting services remotely, while keeping standards and quality high. On June 13th, the Colorado Association of Professional Interpreters is partnering with Tamber Hilton to bring you a two-hour webinar exploring the rapidly evolving practice of remote interpreting over virtual platforms. Tamber will discuss the opportunities remote interpreting can offer, both now and in the future, and ways to mitigate some of the key challenges involved by being ready with the right technology and preparation. In this introductory webinar, you’ll learn about different software options as well as the equipment and software that interpreters may choose to use in their remote work. Tamber will also examine best practices, protocols, and planning with clients for successful remote interpreting sessions. We look forward to having you with us!
- Participants will understand the place of remote interpreting within the wider interpreting profession and will be able to articulate several best practices for mitigating challenges in remote interpreting.
- Participants will be able to articulate the essential pros and cons of different software options for remote interpreting.
- Participants will be able to evaluate their current technology and equipment set up and determine what, if any, additional equipment they will need for remote interpreting success.
- Participants will know the steps required for pre-planning a remote interpreting session.
Tamber Hilton is a federally certified Spanish court interpreter practicing in court and community settings in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. She has been mentoring and training community and legal interpreters of different language backgrounds since 2011, when she took on a role managing the interpreter services program for the U.S. refugee resettlement program based in Bangkok, Thailand. She holds a master’s degree from the University of Oxford in International Human Rights Law and is currently pursuing a J.D. at Georgetown. Tamber’s latest project is a partnership with Aimee Benavides and Ernest Niño Murcia (together, T.E.A. Language Solutions) to provide coaching for interpreters and their clients for remote interpreting success. Tamber is excited about the potential that appropriately implemented technology and thoughtfully developed best practices in remote interpreting have for meaningful language access to public services, and the interpreting profession as a whole.
CAPI Annual Meeting & Election Schedule:
- 10:00-12:00 PM Ready, Set, Remote: What you need to know to get started with virtual remote interpreting
- 12:00- 2:00 PM Board’s report, Election business – this is when the best of the best nominate themselves! We will also discuss the election platform OpaVote.
- 2:00 PM Members networking.
- Members attend the event for free.
- To make sure that you are able to nominate yourself for a position on the board as well as register for this event free of charge, you can check that your membership is current on our website: www.coloradointerpreters.org. Click on “OUR MEMBERS” at the top of the page, or from the dropdown. If you don’t see your name in the directory, it means it is time to renew your membership!